Writing Texas History Where No Historian Went First

A historic photograph looking down on a circular library reading room, with curved desks, a central issue counter, and card catalog cases along the gallery.

The first morning on a subject with no standing biography is quiet in a way that takes getting used to. There is no prior book on the table to argue with, no chapter to measure yourself against, and no footnote pointing at the box somebody smarter already pulled. There is a finding aid, a stack of call slips, and whatever the reading room brings out.

I went looking for that silence deliberately. I am Rosser Newton, and I spent years of early mornings in archives working on the life of Richard Coke, the fifteenth governor of Texas, who afterward served eighteen years in the United States Senate. The thing nobody tells you is that a thin shelf is a trade rather than a gift.

What Changes When There Is No Prior Biography To Argue With

A crowded field hands a writer a ladder. You read the standard account, you locate the place where it strains against the evidence, and you write the correction. The structure of the argument is already built, and your contribution is one floor added to somebody else's building.

Take the ladder away and the work changes shape entirely. Nobody has decided which questions about your subject are the interesting ones, which means you have to decide, and you will be wrong about that for the first several months. I spent a long stretch convinced the interesting question was about one political fight, and the documents kept answering a duller question I had not thought to ask.

Here is the claim I would defend at a table full of people who know the period better than I do. Writing where the literature is thin trades the crutch of synthesis for freedom from inherited error, and on balance that trade favors the writer who is willing to be slow. Every sentence has to be built from the primary record upward, which is harder, and it means that when the account is finished nobody else's mistake is load bearing inside it.

That is not a popular position. A good many careful historians would say the discipline advances by argument, that a book with no interlocutor is a book with no standard to meet, and that a writer working alone simply invents private errors instead of inheriting public ones. I think the honest answer is that both risks are real and only one of them is visible to the reader, which is an argument for saying plainly in the text where an inference is yours.

Why Building A Claim From The Primary Record Upward Is Slower

The sequence is not complicated and it does not compress. You establish what the record physically consists of, then where it sits, then what each kind of document was made for, and only then what any of it says. Skipping the third step is how a writer quotes a clerk and believes he has quoted a senator.

For nineteenth century Texas that usually means starting with the material that has been made reachable and then going to the material that has not. The Portal to Texas History put an enormous quantity of newspapers and county material within reach of anyone with a screen, and that changed what a working person with a full day job could attempt. It did not change what a claim costs.

The rest of the record still lives where it always lived. State holdings sit with the Texas State Library and Archives Commission, federal material sits in the National Archives, and a great deal of the most useful county paper sits in buildings with no catalog at all. A researcher can spend a productive week entirely inside the National Archives catalog and still owe the subject three trips to counties nobody has indexed.

The question I put to every document is the same one I learned to put to a purchase agreement. What was this page made to do, and for whom. A tax roll was made to raise money, a pension affidavit was made to satisfy a clerk, and a printed speech was made to be read by people who were not in the room. Answer that first and the document tells you what it is good for, which is usually narrower and steadier than what a writer wants from it.

What the slowness buys is a specific kind of confidence. When I write that a man was in a place in a given month, I can name the record that puts him there and the reason I trust it, and if a reader disagrees with my reading he is disagreeing with a document rather than with my summary of somebody else's summary.

A handwritten letter from 1885 filling a single page in brown ink, with a dated heading at the top and a signature near the middle of the sheet.

Where A Thin Shelf Costs A Writer Real Months

Now the part that argues against everything above. Prior scholarship does more than hand down inherited error. It also records the dead ends somebody else already walked into, and where there is no prior scholarship there is nobody who walked into them on your behalf.

I lost most of one winter to a set of records I was sure would answer a question about a legislative session. They did not, and they could not have, and a predecessor who had tried the same thing would have put that in a footnote and saved me the season. Nobody had tried it. So I paid for the footnote myself, which is the actual price of the freedom I described three paragraphs ago.

There is a second cost and it is quieter. Working alone for years builds a private confidence in your own reading of a hand, a phrase, a political alignment, and no one is checking it week to week. The only correctives I found were presenting the research to rooms of specialists and writing so that a reader can go get the document and tell me I am wrong.

A thin shelf raises the standard rather than lowering it, because the next person has only your documents to check you against.

The room of specialists is the better of the two correctives and the harder one to arrange. Standing in front of people who have read the same county records you have is uncomfortable in exactly the way that is useful, because the person who catches a weak inference is usually holding a document you have never seen. It also happens twice a year at most, which is a thin schedule to hang a decade of work on.

I have written elsewhere about why the quiet eras of Texas history stay unwritten, and that argument is about the supply of attention. This one is about what the writer who goes anyway is actually signing up for. The two go together, because the reason the opening exists is the same reason it is expensive to take.

The shelf fills eventually, and whoever writes the second book on a subject will find the first one full of things to correct. That is the arrangement and it is a fair one. A first book will not be right about everything. What it owes a reader is the ability to find out exactly where it is wrong.

Rosser Newton is a Dallas businessman, energy investor, and the author of Richard Coke: Texan.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Deferred Maintenance Is A Loan No Covenant Tracks

City Directories Track A Town Year By Year

A Minimum Cash Balance Deserves Covenant Treatment